To ensure Gordon Rugby is competitive and financially strong, providing the environment and culture which enables continued success at all levels, well into the future.
The Friends of Gordon (or “FOGs”) was formed in 2011 and is a supporters’ group that provides financial support to the Gordon Rugby Football Club (“GRFC” or “the Club”). It has operated successfully for 10 years.
The Gordon Rugby Football Club Ltd (“GRFC”) became a fundraising partner of the Australian Sports Foundation (“ASF”) in 2016 through the establishment of the Gordon Rugby Foundation (“GRF”).
The Board of GRFC, the Committee managing the GRF and the Steering Committee of the Friends of Gordon agreed it is in the best interest of GRFC to merge both efforts of the GRF and the Friends of Gordon under the name of The Friends of Gordon Foundation Limited.
In 2021, The Friends of Gordon Foundation Limited ACN : 652 665 506 (“the Foundation”) was established and became a fundraising partner of the ASF. The Foundation is registered with and conducted under the charter of the ASF.
The ASF was established by the Australian Government to raise funds through public and corporate donations for the development of sport in Australia. The ASF’s listing in the Income Tax Assessment Act (1977) means donations of $2 or more are tax-deductible. Registration with the ASF allows donations to the ASF in support of the Foundation to attract a tax deduction for the donor.
The concept of the Foundation has grown out of the recognition of the need to maximise the on-going support to the Gordon Rugby Football Club Limited (“the Club”) in the pursuit of its objectives indefinitely into the future. It is recognised that this can best be done through combining the tax deductibility offered by GRF with the proven fund-raising ability of the FOGs. To that end the Club, GRF and the FOGs have agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”).
The provisions of the MOU enshrine the purposes of the Foundation, which is to provide the means to assist and support the Club in the encouragement, promotion, and development of rugby talent, primarily on the north shore of Sydney. In addition, the Foundation has been established to provide a means to assist in the acquisition and development of the infrastructure necessary for the Club to remain a force in Sydney Rugby.
As a reminder:
- The assets of the Foundation are kept separate from those of the Club.
- The decision as to the expenditure of the contributions is made independently by the Foundation Directors.
- The Foundation is structured with a separate governing Board and governed by the MOU, which directs the Board to apply funds in accordance with the MOU’s terms.
- The Foundation is also required to provide quarterly reports to the ASF which monitors the Foundation to ensure its expenditure complies with qualifying expenditure as agreed with the provisions of the ASF, and
All Foundation contributors are welcome to review the financial records, attend any Committee/Board meetings or provide any input or suggestions for future projects or fundraising activities.
The Foundation aims to provide financial assistance to the Club in:
- Achievement of sustained on-field success including player welfare and development for young men and women playing rugby in Grade, Colts, and Juniors.
- Maintenance and improvement of Club facilities and amenities.
- Development of a pathway for boys’ and girls’ rugby in the Gordon catchment.
- Support and development of our junior clubs.
- Community engagement, social inclusion, and support for our local players and the broader rugby community; and,
- Optimise and ensure the financial strength and stability of GRFC.
Tax Deductibility of Contributions
Individuals and businesses are able to make tax-deductible donations to the ASF in support of the Foundation, which is registered with the ASF. A donation is an unconditional gift made to the ASF, offered voluntarily and not as a result of contractual obligation, and for which the donor receives no material benefit or expectation of benefit in return.
Donations are made to the ASF nominating the Friends of Gordon Rugby Foundation as the beneficiary. In this way your donation in support of the Foundation is tax-deductible. All claims for tax-deductibility are subject to being accepted by the Commissioner of Taxation and donors who are uncertain of their position should seek professional advice.
To Leave a Donation or Pledge
Your financial contributions to support the Foundation will help to ensure that the Club remains a strong force in the Sydney Rugby Union’s first division competition for the foreseeable future. The Foundation cannot do all of this without the generous donations of its Foundation donors.
For your donation to be tax-deductible, please click below:
Patron and Directors of the Foundation
The current Patron and Directors of the Foundation are as follows:
- Stephen Cutler – Patron/ Wallaby#630
- Graeme Hearl – Chair
- Peter Sherwood – GRFC Life Member/ Secretary
- Tim Wedlock
- Chris Cooper
- Andrew Lennon
Contacts at the Foundation
If you have any questions concerning the operation of the Foundation, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Recognition of Foundation Contributors
Supporters who donate $1,000 or more will be recognised as a Friend of Gordon (FOGS) and will be appropriately acknowledged.
The Friends of Gordon Foundation Limited ACN: 652 665 506