Chatswood Oval. Home of the Gordon Highlanders
Gordon Rugby came to Chatswood Oval on Saturday, April 18, 1936 and has remained the Club’s home venue for over 70 years. The Trumper stand (named after cricketing legend Victor Trumper) was constructed in 1924. This provided both the home team and opposition with excellent change room facilities and also a great seated viewing area from the upper deck. Between 1932 and 1960 there were little improvements in the ovals facilities. However former Gordon first grade player Jack Donnelly and an alderman of Willoughby Council recommended a new stand be built and this was supported and approved by Council. In 1962 the Cedric Memorial Pike Stand was opened and 50% of the cost was paid by the Gordon Rugby Club.
In 1980 a further stand was erected and named after Jack Donnelly in recognition of his work for Gordon Rugby and Willoughby Council. Gordon Rugby continues to assist Willoughby Council on a regular basis in keeping this valuable asset in top condition. The rugby club has contributed significantly to the upgrading of the Trumper Stand and playing surface of the oval in recent years and is proud to share this facility with Gordon Cricket Club and the Council’s Child Care Centre.Chatswood Oval is conveniently located and is in close proximity to the North Shore rail line and Chatswood Shopping Centre, one of the largest retail areas in Australia.
Chatswood Oval saw a crowd of 6,500 in 1948 for the Gordon V Manly season opener and this record was broken by the 8,127 attendance 1n the 1976 Gordon V Randwick match. The support for Gordon was unrivalled by any other club in the competition and you could here the crowds yell “GOR-DON GOR-DON’’ from many miles away.
Chatswood Oval remains the home of Gordon Rugby and on Saturday afternoons in the winter there is always a great standard of rugby being played, along with the opportunity to meet old friends and new and enjoy the great spirit of Gordon Rugby.